Friday, May 6, 2011

I am the Messenger by Mark Zusak


Since I mentioned it yesterday, I should explain I Am the Messenger. The Reading Rock Stars and Bookaneers will not be surprised when I say this is one of my favorite books – ever.

I am the Messenger is the story of Ed Kennedy. Ed is 20; drives a cab; fights with his mother.  She cusses him out regularly while pursuing her life’s work: convincing Ed that he has no future and his life is worthless. Oh, and Ed is in love with his beautiful, yet romantically unattainable, best friend Audrey. Ed’s life is run of the mill average until he foils the bank robbery and becomes briefly famous.

In the collapsed robbery’s wake, Ed begins getting playing cards. The first playing card has four addresses and four times. As Ed visits each address, he discovers situations he feels compelled to do something about. Later, there are more cards, late night visits from men in masks who assault him. Ed embarks on what can best be described as a hero’s journey that changes him.

I am the Messenger is by turns, funny, heart pounding, and bittersweet. It is full of characters that will endear themselves to you including Ed’s dog: the Doorman. It is a story about friends and how well we really know them. It is a book about amazing opportunities that present themselves unexpectedly in life and how they change us. It is a book not to be missed. You will never see the end coming – ever. Read it. Read it. Read it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment